Monday, September 17, 2012

Surgery, part 2

After talking to Dr. Scaife immediately after the surgery, I couldn't believe the things he told us about what he actually did to Noah. I'll do my best to explain it in "normal people" language. They put him under, then put him into these baby stirrups. He stuck these clamp-type tools up his bum and then cranked it so that his anus was flipped virtually inside out. This was so he could sew the pulled-down section of his colon down to the anus. Can you imagine seeing something like that done to your baby?? I'm so glad he didn't tell me what he'd be doing before the surgery.

He went into great detail with drawings and simplified explanation to all of us in the waiting room (me, Mark, Kerri, Dave, my mom, dad). He answered any questions that we had and said to wait there until I was summoned to go see Noah. We waited another 20 minutes or so, then the receptionist called for me to go down and meet him in the recovery room. Only one parent could go.

I'm not going to lie. I expected him to still be pretty drugged and out of it--painless. I couldn't believe the condition he was in. He was in so much pain. I kept asking the nurse to give him something more but given Noah's special condition, he could only have a certain amount of pain medications because part of his recovery process is being able to go to the bathroom. Pain medications, especially the strong stuff, slow down your digestive system significantly. Because of that there is this fine line of giving him too much because the faster he could have a bowel movement the sooner we could go home. But seeing him like that was absolutely horrible. It continued that whole night--he would just moan and groan and seemed miserable.

I stayed up with him and tried to comfort him. I begged nurses to give him SOMETHING...something to take the edge off. A dose of Tylenol here and there, but AHH it was so frustrating! I wasn't mad at the nurses, just the situation. He had his morphine drip going constantly but that seemed to make him more sick (we later discovered that because as soon as we took him off of it, he was a different baby). He was in this painful state for over 24 hours, but by the next day he had spurts of the "old Noah". Luckily one of us could sleep there each night. Mark and I took turns sleeping there and I'm so glad we could. Noah was traumatized enough.

Noah loves his water.
These are the nurses who gave him enemas through the night.

The morning of surgery/

He loved this football that Aunt Fifi gave him before going to the hospital.

I brought his Panda from home. He was so excited to see it.

Heading out of his room to the surgery prep room.

Grandmas updating the family

You can't see Noah, but he was swept away by the guy on the right. I think this is the reason for his fear of anyone in scrubs for the next two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment