Monday, September 17, 2012

Surgery, part 3

By about 11 a.m. on August 31st (2 days post surgery), Noah had his first bowel movement out of his bum!

We did the poop dance all day long. It was such great news and the medical staff all seemed pleasantly surprised that it happened so quickly. I took a picture of "it", but I will spare you.

From then on out, we were gradually feeding him more and by the next day he was completely off morphine. Once that morphine stopped, his demeanor changed and he was much more happy! We just gave him around the clock Tylenol and Advil. Lortab didn't do so well in him--it all ended up on the floor in large amounts. Managing his pain was very important to me and I didn't want to take him home feeling like it wasn't controlled. He continued eating more and pooping.

Changing those first 50 diapers were comical. All of you moms would have died laughing at Mark and me for sure. We had never changed our 8 month old son's poopy diaper. Which way to wipe? How many wipes? How do I hold his legs? Where do I put the soiled diaper and wipes??? So funny.

On September 1st, one of the surgeon's partners saw Noah and told Mark (I was at my aunt and uncle's house sleeping) that Noah could probably go home the next day. When Mark told me that, I didn't take it seriously at all because of what happened the last time we were in the hospital with him. It turned out to be the case.

By 2 p.m. Sunday, September 2nd, we were on our way home and soo happy/terrified.  This was the part that I was dreading: Recovery...

Ps-According to the medical staff, this was the fastest they'd ever seen a Hirschsprung's kid go home after a pull-through surgery (4 days). Go Noah! The earliest they'd seen was 5 days.
He was pretty beat up when I saw him for the first time. Poor baby!

He was miserable. Broke my heart.

Getting either a dose of antibiotics or painkillers

Lots of annoying wires to worry about. No fun.

His IV went bad and leaked all over me.

checking out his balloons over his bed.
Very drugged out.


Grandma Dodie helped hold him so I could get a break.

This was taken right when he pooped for the first time out of his bum!
Here's my dad doing a "Poop dance"...We joined him, but I refrained from posting those pictures. You're welcome.


Special delivery for Noah from my Aunt Colleen and Uncle Chip all the way in Ohio.

No more pictures Mom. Let me sleeeep...

Dad is a great pillow.

August 28th: taken when I received word from Mark that the doctors suspected Noah could go home the next day. Miracle!

Drinking milk for the first time in 4 days!
He'll always be my chubby-cheeked baby.

My little bug.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So glad he was able to go home so quickly. Also, so gla you figured out a butt paste ritual :) and got some sleep!! I hope it continues to go well :)