Thursday, June 13, 2013


Yay! I'm alive! 

This is what 3 a.m. looks like.
I only got like 4 hours of sleep. I'm terrrrible with alarms (since I haven't used one since the babe was born...) and wake up every hour justtobesure I don't sleep through. 
Not to mention I was nervous as all heckkk.

Corey and her husband came to get me at 3:45 a.m. to head down to south Provo at the bus loading area. 
We had a haunted bus. Or at least we thought so. 
I happened to be that the man driving was probably 95. We rode on the wrong side of the road a few times. It was eventful!

Here we are after using the "facilities." Corey accidentally brought her phone, but I'm glad since we got a couple of pictures pre-race.

We were right in front of the 4:25 pacer but stayed with the 4:15 pacer guy most of the way. His name is Adrian and he was a lifesaver! He knew the course and would give us encouraging tips along the way. He really helped keep us motivated and stay at a challenging, yet doable pace. We owe it to him! 

So you hear runners use the term "hit the wall"--well, in the other two marathons in St. George that I had done (2006 & 2008 when I was much skinnier), I couldn't remember feeling that terrible. I mean, a marathon is long and it's challenging, but I always finished feeling pretty good (maybe my memory has gotten a little hazy??). 

Anyway, this marathon was a different story! I felt great...UNTIL...mile 23. Those last 3-4 miles were killer! Sheesh! I couldn't drink any more Powerade for fear of vomiting and I had already peed my pants 10 miles earlier (thank you, 9.5 pound Noah coming out of my vajayjay). The fact that there were NO porta potties along the way didn't matter (quite the controversy). I didn't need another bodily fluid on my person. But when I got that [huge] medal around my neck, I was just happy! 

Here we are just after the finish (shadowy picture by Mark, thank you dear). My face was on fire (it was hot). We were both really feelin' body was just spent but I was jittery after having two caffeinated gels. Corey had some crazy leg pain going on. I was just pumped to be done and to have finished a full 15-20 minutes faster than I had predicted! My time was 4:16:22, Corey 4:16:18. Corey zoomed ahead of me at the end and I was seriously impressed. She was dying to be done too! And I just read that I got 25th place in my age group (19-24). I'm pretty much professional.
But I'm pumped that I was 25th because that's my lucky number. Really, it is. Birthday 01-25-89, my mom was 25 when she had me, our anniversary is 08-25-09...It's lucky, people. 

A sweaty mom. He didn't recognize me when he first saw me!

And here's the guy who seriously made this marathon possible for me. Training for this thing meant more to me than most people realize. After a really hard year of battling depression and nursing a sick baby all the time, I really needed to accomplish something for myself. Mark was behind me 110%. He never made me feel guilty or selfish for leaving him all the time at night to watch Noah so that I could get my runs in. He was my rock and I truly couldn't have done it without him! 

Mark's grandpa Huber brought me a Jamba Juice at the end of the race. He's the sweetest. Noah wanted it more than I did--my tummy was a bit queasy!

That's Grandpa Huber on the left, mother-in-law Kerri and bro-in-law Ryan on my right. Kerri and Ryan played a small but significant part in my training as well! They would come over early on Saturday mornings or sometimes in the middle of the day so that I could get a run in here or there. It meant a lot to me that they were there to celebrate with me!

My brother and his wife and their two (almost three) kids were there to greet me too. 
Estefi made this awesome sign for me and created an appropriate hash tag just for me: #bouncedatbooty. 
Indeed, this booty bounced for 26.2 miles,
and I was ready for a movie and a massage.



  2. Running has always impressed me!!! I have yet to accomplish a 5k. Good job, seriously amazing!

  3. I tried to comment earlier but it didn't work. Anyway, this was awesome and I am so glad that we did it together. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. Now we need to get out and run again!