Friday, March 6, 2015

Miss Ellery's Birth Day

Ellery made her debut on Friday, January 9, 2015 at 8:47 pm. I'm just going to jump into the details--sorry if it is TMI but you know that I love to share just about e-ver-y-thing on this little old blog.

Thursday night Mark was away at his office late into the night and I texted him that I thought I was getting closer to having the baby since lots of "stuff" was coming out of me, what appeared to be my (gag) mucous plug. That term and "event" is probably the most disgusting process of the whole labor thing. But just because that happens doesn't mean that you're going to have the baby right away--it just means you're close-ish. This never happened with Noah, and let's face it, the whole #2 pregnancy was so much different than his that I wasn't surprised at anything at that point. My doctor insisted that I would go over my due date just as I had with Noah, despite me telling him that it was as different from Noah's pregnancy as it could get. I guess only God knows when a baby is ready to come though, so I don't blame the guy too much.

Friday morning came and I did my usual bathroom run. It was about 7:45. I stood up and after I wiped I noticed a trickle. I wasn't sure if that was my water that had broken? Could it be? But I'm not due for another 4 days! Time to text mom. 

My mom thought I should go to the hospital just to make sure, especially because I tested positive for Group B strep, which requires me to get IV antibiotics for at least four hours before the baby comes so the baby doesn't get infected. I told Mark the plan, and then I reluctantly grabbed my hospital bag, took a quick shower, didn't put on any makeup or do my hair because "I'm just going to get sent home...", all while super dad Mark fed Noah and got him dressed. We arrived at Orem Community around 9 am. I gave Noah and Mark a kiss goodbye (because of the flu, no kids under 14 years old were allowed to be around any patients) and headed back to be checked out. Discharge continued to come out, but the fluid tested negative for amniotic fluid. They did a second test, and that came back about an hour later as positive. Through all this waiting, Mark was just entertaining Noah in the lobby and we were texting back and forth. Even after the second test came back positive, the nurse said I was still in the "grey area"--My mom was ready to jump on a plane and come. I told her not to count on it. Well, about ten minutes after I told her I was probably going to be sent back home, the nurse checked me again and I went from a 1 to a 3 in about an hour. It was time to get admitted! I hurried and called her to say "never mind! Come now! I'm having this baby today!" My nurse informed me that my doctor wouldn't be delivering my baby. I panicked for a few seconds. Then she reassured me that the doctor on call was amazing and would take really good care of me (he totally lived up to that reputation).

Mark was shocked. And so excited. He hurried and called his mom, took Noah home to grab his stuff to sleep over at Grandma Kerri's house, and met her half way. To this day I feel so awful that I didn't get to really say bye to Noah or explain to him what was going on! I totally assumed that I'd see him just soon after and that I'd still be pregnant. 

My mom booked a flight that left just a couple hours later and she would arrive at the hospital around 6:30 pm. Luckily she lives in Dallas and only 20 minutes from the airport! It was awesome that she was ready to come and actually made it for all the action.

Mark got there just in time to see me completely lose it and get the first IV. I wasn't prepared to give birth that day! I was totally dehydrated, so my veins were awful. The sweet nurse tried in my right hand and it felt like I was being stabbed. I think Mark thought I was exaggerating but even as I type this that pain is coming back to my right hand! I HATE IV'S! I felt worse for my nurse though. That IV didn't take, so she had another nurse come and try my left hand. That one took but it was a little funky because I had to angle my hand the right way to get the steady flow of drips. It wasn't painful though, so I didn't care. 

I hung out for awhile and again...not prepared...I only had my phone on me and the shows on TV were poopy and Mark was working on his computer. He wanted to get as much work done as he could so that he didn't have to settle anything while at the hospital with me and a new baby. For the first (and probably last) time I was actually kind of bored! What is that? And I was still in total shock that I was going to be having a baby that day. SHOCKED. 

Soon the nurse asked if I wanted the epidural. Umm..yes please. The nurse anesthetist came in and did his thing. I wasn't nervous at all for the epidural because it worked so well with Noah. Well, the guy took a little too long back there. I kept looking at Mark and my nurse and I could tell the nurse was keeping an eye on him...I got a little nervous when he kept asking, "where do you feel that?" and I could tell he was trying to center it, but I felt pinching more to the left side of my spine. He kept saying "I'm always to the left...always to the left..." Umm...what the heck does that mean?! He got it in and I was numbing just fine. I felt pretty good until my ears started ringing and I started blacking out. It was terrifying! Mark kept fanning me and my nurse had to inject something into my IV to get my blood pressure back up. I came to and felt awful. Well, then Mr. Nurse Anesthetist came waltzing back in and told me that he may have drawn spinal fluid when he was doing the epidural? He said he had to do it twice, and that I may have a spinal headache after I give birth? Again...Umm...okay. Luckily that wasn't the case, but he kept asking me if this has happened to me before and that "this is so weird, this never happens to me. Probably 5 times this has happened" Well guess what happened again? Probably 30 minutes later, I was on the phone with my sister and my ears started ringing and I hurriedly said, "Erica, I've gotta go" and as loud as I could I told Mark and my nurse (who happened to be in the room) that I wasn't feeling well again. Within seconds I couldn't even hear what they were saying to me because I was passing out again. Again Mr. NA came and I told him that I have passed out before but not with an epidural. He seemed to think that his dose was too high for my smaller frame. He said if I passed out again that I should think about getting the epidural removed altogether! 

He left and I asked Mark to give me a blessing of comfort. I prayed so hard that my blood pressure wouldn't bottom out again. I really didn't want to deliver unmedicated. The epidural was working great, but my body was just freaking out. After the blessing, we both felt really positive and hopeful. It didn't happen again. I am trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure I vomited sometime after either the first or second episode. I had to change my gown and all the sheets. Whoops! All the nurses felt so badly for me and called it the "nurse curse." Since my mom is a labor and delivery nurse, all the things that could go wrong WOULD go wrong. I thought it was funny they felt badly for me because honestly it wasn't that bad! I think I was just so elated that my body was going into labor on its own. I couldn't wait to meet my baby! 

My mom came in at about 6:30, just as we predicted. I was so happy to see her, and all the nurses were too. She used to work there at Orem and so they're all friends. My good friend Corey came at  around 7:30 to take pictures of the delivery! She was so wonderful to offer and I am so glad that I had her come! She did an amazing job. At about 8 pm I was at a 10 and ready to start pushing! I can't even express enough through words how elated I was that my epidural was the perfect amount--it was a dream delivery! I could totally feel when I needed to push and how to push, but didn't feel any pain. (I didn't have that with Noah! I was so over the top numb that anyone could've chopped my legs off and I wouldn't have felt anything. And he was pulled out with forceps.) This doctor was awesome and really massaged and stretched me down there to prevent tearing. I had to tell my mom to be quiet because she kept socializing with her friends while I was trying to concentrate and push haha. I pushed for about 45 minutes and was getting worn out! But it was so exhilarating to feel her come out of me. Truly miraculous. I loved how with it and alert I was. At 8:47 pm I pushed this perfect 8 pounds 8 ounces 19 inches long babe out, they showed her to me, then went to clean her off and suction all the gunk out of her, and I just watched and couldn't wait to do skin to skin.

And you know the best best best part of it all? She's here. She's healthy. And I'm not pregnant anymore. Oh my goodness she is cute.

I should add that Corey actually took quite a few pictures of me pushing but this is the only one i'm willing to publish publicly. Can you say, s-w-o-l-l-e-n ?! They pumped so many dang fluids in me; I looked like a marshmallow.

I nibble on that chin on the daily. I know, I'm super lucky.

She had an impressive amount of gunk in her mouth and throat, so they said.

To this day this is probably my favorite face that she makes. Her sad face just melts me.

A teeny tiny 8 lbs. 8 oz., nearly a pound less than big brother. I can't say that my woman parts weren't absolutely thrilled to not have to experience giving birth to another 9 pounder.

She's eight weeks old today! And what a wonderful 8 weeks it's been. Another post to come on the angel baby that she is...


  1. This sounds a lot like Lacey's birth story, haha. I started leaking a little, went to the hospital to have some of the test positive for amniotic fluid and some negative. I was in the "grey area" until I dilated from a 2 to a 4. I almost passed out from the epidural and had to get it done twice, and they pumped me full of fluid so I was pretty puffy. Ellery is beautiful, and I love the name!

  2. Beauitful! I am so glad you had a such a better experience! And you want to know what I was thinking when I saw your pushing photo? "Amy is so beautiful!" :)

  3. Good work, Amy! You make the cutest babies! I love that sad face picture ooohhhh the cuteness!